Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Joy of Clay

Exploring shape and movement with a piece I almost threw out. I squeezed the clay as thick as my hands could manage for this sculpture. It's made out of two pieces, one that was marginally successful and the other, a broken piece of a larger sculpture that came off when I was moving it, still green. But they seem to work together nicely.

I tried the surface technique Batu taught me yesterday and the piece comes close to doing what I want it to do. Still would like to experiment with a more amber-looking surface. I'll let you know when I get there.

Last month I was in New York and saw some amazing Chinese scholar rocks at the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I was surprised at how similar they looked to gingko trees I had seen earlier in the day on the street---bright yellow in their final glory before winter.

Ginkgo

I haven't uploaded pictures of the scholar rocks yet but here are links to my new "Dormancy" sculpture. I would love to hear your thoughts about it.

 Dormancy

Dormancy

  Dormancy


No comments:

Post a Comment