Saturday, February 4, 2012

Animal Sculpture: Ants as Artists

I visited my brother Jonathan at his home in rural Aragon last June. He was a wonderful host, the best cook, and awesome company. I had the run of the house but also all the time I wanted to wander around the countryside. I was amazed by the many artistic and sculptural activities the ants were up to. Here are a few of them.

Twin Ant Hills

Complex Ant Hill

Umbonate Ant Hill

Pustulate Ant Hills

Ant Hill Hay

How can we incorporate the kind of design intelligence into our work that the ants instinctually put into theirs?

1 comment:

  1. It seems to me that one of the ways to do that may be to try to work purely instinctively, on something other than a conscious level. I think clay is a material which lends itself well to that kind of approach.

    ReplyDelete